dinsdag 27 oktober 2015

"Hello, It's Us'': Witty Art about the art of dealing with ''Frenemies''

About time I started posting some of the Witty Art Work created earlier this year. As you followers of this blog and my art might know by now, this hasn't been the easiest year for me. A long period of financial insecurity led to the inevitable: the foreclosre of the mortgage on my house by the bank. 

It has been a long fight, and perhaps I fought that battle for far too long - one I was never to win anyway. But, done is done. My life has altered significantly, and I am slowly but surely coming to terms with it, seeing that the direction it was heading into, was not meant to be mine anyway.

One of the ways to deal with this all, is by the creative proces of making my Witty Art Book 'My Life In Limbo', which I have been sharing quite frequently on this blog, too.
Anyway, the thing is, it has been a pretty turbulent year. And however painful the process of losing my house may have been, it also turned out to be a highly creative one. One, during which I realised yet once again how crucial it is for me to keep on making my art: Witty Art.
 
For instance, it was the first time ever I've been able to visualise my long-term suffering from Insomnia as I did with series like ''Sleep No More'' and ''My (C)Losing Time''. And how liberating it felt to admit to it openly, for the first time, to which extend sleeplessness has been part of my life. 

And much more Witty Art saw the light during that period, and it has been a constant craze of GottaDraw ever since.
One of the other series was ''Hello It's Us!'', a series of five drawings so far, this time not named Part 1, 2, 3, and so on, but each with their own individual subtitle.

The series, at least to me, playfully refers to that type of people we all know exist and, at times, are impossible to escape: that type of friendly strangers or worse, good friends, who seem to think they know you better than anyone else, including yourself.
And whether they know you well or not at all, is irrelevant. The point is, they know all they need to know about you - it's enough for them to weigh you, to disect you and to judge you. They will painstakingly measure whether you fit in or not, if you are, according to a thoroughly set scale of social standards you might not even be aware of. You might not even know it existed in the first place. 

But that's all irrelevant to them. As long as they know. And all they need to know is: will you fit in? In other words: are you one of them, or not?

 

So, my point is: even if you wouldn't know yourself all too well, you'd still know one thing: to stay away from this particular breed  of intrusive, judgemental people as far as you can, as best as you can.

After all, as the saying goes: with friends like these, who needs enemies...?









Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten