dinsdag 27 oktober 2015

The Blame Game & Taking the Guilt Trip: new series ''Blame'' depicts all that and more...

 

The concept of 'blame' plays an important role in my work. Guilt and blame, to be precise. Partially because of reasons far too personal to talk or write about here, partially because of the more psychological aspects of the phenonemon.

It is, as far as I'm concerned, a re-occurring theme in Witty Art, sometimes clearly visible and tangible, most of times more like a some form of abstract presence, lingering and even lurking in the background. Well, that's how someone once described it to me - and I can definitely relate to that.

It's present in, for instance, my series "H.U.R.T." and ''Unforgiven'', the latter specifically triggered by a quote from Fyodor Dostoyevsky's classic novel ''Crime and Punishment'': 

''To go wrong in one's own way is better then to go right in someone else's.'' 


Now, there is another series in the making which deals with the same topic, albeit in a different way, taking a different approach. Whereas, to me, both "H.U.R.T.'' and ''Unforgiven'' are much harsher, violent even on an deeply emotional level, ''Blame'' depicts the feeling of being blamed, aside from whether you are guilty or not. It's about the someone playing the blamegame on you and you taking the guilt trip.


''Blame'' was also partially inspired by the song with the same name of one of my all time favourite bands, The Afghan Whigs: ''Blame, Etc''. As with all of their songs, the raw energy of both their music and lyrics speaks to me on many, many levels.

I took the liberty of embedding a YouTube link to this song, so you can play and listen for yourself. As I said, to me it's not just the pulsating rhythm, haunting guitars and frontman Greg Dulli's grinding voice, but it's the combination with the lyrics that makes their music so powerful to me. 

''Blame, deny, betray, divide
A lie, the truth
Which one shall I use?
Whatcha gonna do?
I know
Whatcha gonna do?
I know, I know, I know"

Words & Music: Greg Dulli 

For those who'd like to read the whole lyrics, please click here


 
All I can say, that The Whigs' music has been with me for many years now and it has helped inspire the creation of much Witty Art Work - and I can absolutely state with 100% certainty it will continue to do so for the rest of my life.

Greg Dulli and The Afghan Whigs still perform and tour regularly. 




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten