donderdag 3 maart 2016

How ''Willow Minnows'' crossed my path again

(Willow Minnows #3 is sold)


In a recent blogspost, I wrote about the birth of my series ''Willow Minnows'' back in 2012. And this turned out to be one of those rare cases I started working on what I thought was a brandnew series in 2014 and, much to my surprise, found out that these were actually new additions to ''Willow Minnows'', without consciously having intended them to be so!

The thing is, I only saw this when these set of new drawings was done and I just couldn't find a proper name for them. So I kept laying them aside, and back to them, and so on for quite a couple of days. Untill it suddenly hit me. There was this underlying vibe to it and also some clear visual elements that absolutely made them members of the ''Willow Minnows'' family.



The great thing of all this, is that I can see some clear development in this series, while at the same time still sticking to its original ''theme'' and using some of the same visual elements (the headphones and skateboards were an obvious sign) as some of other series as well. The loudspeakers however have been prominent in a series like ''Innovation In Carnation'' (which to this day is still ongoing as well).

It's a perfect example of how I am continiously surprised by how my art develops over time, how it shapes itself rather than me doing it for them. How it chooses and goes its own paths without even me, its creator, knowing it. And I wouldn't want it any other way!
 



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten