woensdag 1 oktober 2014

''Face Values'': is what you see, truly what you get?



Those who have been following Witty Art for a while, might have noticed that I seldom or very rarely depict actual humans. It's more humanlike and much more hybridlike creatures that appear in The World of Witty Art.

It's not that I am not interested in people. On the contrary.

People and especially their pysche, the way they behave and why they behave the way they do, fascinates me deeply. In fact, it's the very drive behind the creation of a lot of my artwork as it's rooted in a huge fascination for life and that bizarre breed called humanity.

So, the hybrid and cartoonesque creatures that inhabit my world may not look human, they do often behave in a humanlike way. Perhaps, for me as an artist and a humble human myself, that provides a safer way of depicting what I'd like to call ''the perfect imperfection'' human nature - including all its strenghts and weaknesses, its beautiful blessings and favourite flaws, all its ''perfect imperfections''. 


It is in that light you have to view my series ''Face Values'', which I started in 2013 and which has been on display a couple of times during exhibtions and art events since then. One day, I found myself randomly playing around with humanshaped faces and the result turned out to be a bunch of mixed up facial structures, with a little bit of expressionist and cubist influences here and there.

The question here, however is: ''When looking at things face value, does it mean: what you see, is what you get?''







Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten